Monday, January 28, 2013

A Little Apple Cake on A Rainy Day


Untitled

I did not make this apple cake today - I made it yesterday in a hurry when I realised I had not thought to make a dessert for the guests coming for lunch.  Lunch without dessert is of course perfectly acceptable, but being the crazy rain and wind kind of day we had in Brisbane yesterday, I thought we could do with a bit of comfort food.

Today I am baking Nigella's sour cream Chocolate Cake.  It is no longer raining, but it is still gloomy so further comfort baking was deemed necessary.

Yesterdays  apple cake was such a success, I thought I would share it with you.  I am happy to report there was not a crumb left after lunch to photograph.

A Little Apple Cake

4 large green apples, skin on and thinly sliced (I use a mandolin)
2 eggs
1/2 cup double thick cream (I am thinking of using creme fraiche next time)
1 cup plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon powder

preheat your oven to 180 degrees.  Layer the apple slices in a 25 cm springform round tin that is well buttered.  Mix all the remaining ingredients together (I popped mine in the blender) and whiz to combine.  Pour the batter over the apples, mushing it down a bit so it seeps through the apple layers.  Bake for about 40 min.  It will be golden on top and come away from the edges a little when done.

I served mine with the remaining double thick cream, but ice cream would also be perfect.  This is the kind of cake which is awesome with a nice cup of tea.

xx Trace

2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy, I love apple cakes. I have pinned this to try some day. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete

Why hello there, thanks for commenting!